Sunday, August 16, 2009

NO Swine Flu Vaccination Here!

I have been hearing on the news quite a bit lately how the government is working hard to have the flu vaccine and the the swine flu vaccine ready ASAP. They want to start giving people the regular flu vaccine next month followed by 2 shots, 3 weeks apart, for the swine flu.

My family will NOT be getting any of these shots. Why? Because I do not think enough research has been done to know not only the effectiveness of the shot but also the side effects.

I have heard (and I did some reading too) about the side effects that came about in the 1970's when the government was trying to get every man, woman and child vaccinated against the swine flu. I believe the government tried putting an unnecessary scare in people then---just like they are trying to do now.

Did you know that the swine flu is.....are you ready.......the FLU! While not a barrel of laughs (especially when you have a large family and EVERYONE gets sick at once), the flu is manageable. The key---hydration-hydration-hydration! To the normally healthy person, it should pass without major complications.

It actually scares me how the government is pushing so hard lately for certain vaccines (Gardasil anyone?). It makes me wonder what part the pharmaceutical companies have in all this.

And just one last thing for food for thought----Did you know that Malaria occurs in between 350-500 MILLION people worldwide and it kills over 1 million---mostly children---a year? This sounds like more of a problem to me than the swine flu. Could it be that most of the one million that die from Malaria are from South Africa and the pharmaceuticals would NOT be making the big $$ on vaccines there? Just a thought.

1 comment:

Amy :) said...

I agree about the not knowing how safe that vaccine is. Every time I see something about it on the news, it makes me feel uneasy. Glad to know I'm not the only one...

Amy :)