Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Large Family?

Next month, September 17th to be exact, Nicholas will be entering the world. I am getting very excited.

One thing I have been thinking about lately is our family size. I know this is going to sound kind of a "dah" to some but here goes any way....it just dawn on me recently that we, according to most, are (or will be) a large family.

When did this happen? At what point did we go from being an "average" family to be a "large family"? I honestly do not know. Was it when we got Jessie and Alex and overnight went from a family of 4 to a family of 6? Or is it when we added Emily? Can it be that NOW we are with our new addition coming?

I guess it all comes down to perspective. I would consider us a typical homeschool family. But why? Well, most of the families that I know who homeschool have atleast 4 children (some do have less). Some have 5 or 6. So it doesn't surprise me when I see a family with that many children. I look at a family of 12 (10 children plus parents) as large. However, when I was a mom of 2 with CJ is school, I would have looked at a family with 6 large. Why? Because the "norm" around me was families with 2 kids.

So what do you think? What do you consider a large family? We will be a family of 8, do you consider us a large family?

BTW........I LOVE being a large family : )

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I think in today's society a family of 5 is large.
I came from a family of seven and so did my husband. We decided that we would only have one.
Congratulations on your little one.

Amy :) said...

For me, it was when our son Jesse was born that our family seemed "large". That was when we became a family of 6.

But you're right... in homeschooling circles, sometimes 5 kids (as we have now) isn't a big family. We have friends who are expecting their 10th next month. THAT is a "large" family if you ask me.

But we're "bigger than most" and I'm used to people acting like 5 kids is a big family. I don't mind...

Amy :)