Thursday, June 26, 2008

Budgetting Thoughts

Tomorrow, Friday, is the first day of our Dave Ramsey financial fitness plan. I have been working numbers for the last couple of days. In the Total Money Makeover book that Dave Ramsey wrote he talks about baby steps. He has certain steps that need to be done in a certain order. Baby step #1 is to save $1000 for our emergency fund. Yes, we are that unfit that we don't even have that. But we will...soon!!! I am an all or nothing kind of girl. Also, I have the microwave train of thought too many times. You know, the "I want to wake up tomorrow and already be on step 3 of the plan."

I am going grocery shopping for the first time for the new month tomorrow. We work our months a little different. Hubby gets paid every other week and we also have another source of income that comes in twice a month. They don't usually coincide with each other. Chris' first check of the month goes towards rent. The second check of the month takes care a majority of our bills. I know it sounds kind of backwards but we start the month with the second check. Its just how the bills fall. I hope I didn't confuse you. I have budgeted $700 for the month for groceries. Included in this are baby supplies, household products, paper goods and hygiene items. Tomorrow will be the big shopping trip. I have allotted $400 for tomorrow's trip. I will also be going to the warehouse club to get my meat and bulk items. There is one thing I am not sure how to handle. What about when an item is on sale and I want to stock up. Example--I have a rain check for a 20 pound bag of rice for $6.99. With the price of rice going up I don't know if I should just go ahead and get 2 (or 3) because I don't know when I will see that price again. One of the blogs I read mentioned putting some money aside every month for when something like that happens. I might consider that. My other trips for the month are scheduled for July 7th, 14th and 21st. We are doing our budget in 4 week cycles.

My new hobby is going great....COOKING!!! Yesterday I made 2 banana breads from scratch. Yummy : ) Cooking from scratch is actually easier than I thought. I am also getting a little faster in the kitchen too! I am starting to get use to the timing of things. Believe me, my hubby could still cook circles around me but I am getting there!!! I think he is really enjoying not having to cook as much. In the last 2 weeks he has cooked breakfast once and dinner 3 times. What a huge difference.

No comments: