Wednesday, January 7, 2009

A New Adventure---Organic!!!

I have been thinking long and hard lately about the food my family eats, cleaning products and what it all means for the family budget. I have to admit first off that we have never been tried and true with a budget. We have never had X amount of money aside for groceries and when its gone that's it. It has been more to the effect of---I would like to spend X amount, that is our goal, but if things come up then so be it.

I have been using Shaklee now for over a year. I have to say, I love the products. They can be a little heavy for the wallet though. That is something I battle. When it is time to order I try to make a larger order (because of shipping). I get all anxious about spending that kind of money. It lastly usually until the products come in. Then, when I open the beautiful brown box I am thrilled, take a sigh of relief and go on until I have to buy stuff a few months later.

I was looking into making some products on my own. I did make my own knock-off of Clorax Anywhere spray (btw, Google is a great thing). I put 16 ounces of water in a spray bottle with 3 drops of bleach and tah-dah......Mom's Anywhere Spray ; ) I had looked into making my own laundry detergent but after reading that Borax can cause fertility problems or problems for an unborn baby I decided to pass (never know what the Lord has in store for us).

This is going to be an ongoing process. I know that overnight we will not become earthy-crunchy. It is going to take time. I just can't believe we are heading in that direction. I would LOVE to hear from others on things they do---recipes, tips, and saving money---all natural, organically. In fact, I was thinking of making this a weekly series. What do you think? I just have to figure out how to set up one of those Mr. Linky things : )

1 comment:

Jessica @ Pudget: Losing Weight On A Budget said...

Thanks for visiting PUDGET today. I think it is a great idea to make your own cleaning products. As you know I am on a budget and I'm sure this will help. I think your ideas would make a great weekly series. I will be sure to follow it.