Monday, December 22, 2008

6 Seconds.......

I have been waiting for this day for about 2 months now. You know what it is? I bet you'll never guess ; ) Alright, I'll tell you....It's the Winter Equinox!!! Are you excited or what?

Okay, I have a feeling that for the average person you are not too excited. But for me, it means I am that much closer to longer days.

A few weeks ago I wrote about S.A.D. (Seasonal Affective Disorder) and it's effects on me. Well I wanted to give you an update. Back on December 12th, I was woken up bright, no let me change that to dark and early by my hubby. He called at about 6:45 to tell me I needed to get up and do "the light". I wanted to just hang up on him but instead I listened to his wisdom and reluctantly got up, did my devotions and headed downstairs to pull out "the light". I was at a pretty low point and felt like it was going to be no use. But I didn't want to go against Hubby. Actually, truth be known, I figured I would do it, see no change and just be able to say "told you so" and go on with my pity party.

But in incredible thing happened after I did the light. I actually didn't feel worse, in fact, it felt good. So the next day, I got up again and did "the light". Within a few days I was getting up at 6:30 all on my own compared to the dragging myself to get up at 7:30 (if I was lucky---it was really closer to 8).

Today made day # 11 with "the light". I wish I started this back in October when I was feeling myself slip. My mood is SO much better. I am not as anxious or easily irritated. I am enjoying life again. I have hope.

The light isn't the only thing making the difference. I also take B6 and B12 every morning now. I read that B6 can help with the production of serotonin. Low levels of serotonin have been found to be associated with depression.

Of course I know that the One True Light is God. When I was feeling lower than low I felt forgotten. I felt God and I were just not connecting. But I pressed through. It can be tough, but I held on to His word, meditating on His promise, sang out His songs just knowing that even though I felt alone, He was holding me the whole time.

I figured there might be others out there that could benefit from this post. There are others who might be wondering what this light looks like. So here it is. These three things have made a HUGE difference in my life.

Vitamins B6 and B12, "the light" and The One True Light--God's Word

You might be also wondering why I chose 6 Seconds as my title today. That is because the weather man today said we had 6 seconds more sunlight today than yesterday. 6 seconds. That's enough to make me happy today : )

1 comment:

Amy :) said...

Judy,

One of the things I love most about living in Arizona is the sunshine. Matt & I both notice the difference in our mood here. And we notice in the wintertime here, when it's cloudy a bit more than the rest of the year, that we feel more down.

There are a lot of people back where we used to live who needed "the light", just like you do. Isn't it amazing what cloudy skies can do to us?

I'm glad you're doing better now!!
Amy :)