Saturday, October 25, 2008

Weekly Wrap-up



Yeah!!! We did a full week of homeschooling!!! I feel like I am finally back on track : ) You may be asking what has made the difference. I can some it up in one word....Perseverance. I was determined this week that no matter what, I was going to get through the 3 R's with my 3 middle children. In this season of life, that is my goal. I feel they are at the age that it is essential to get a good foundation in it. Once they do, it will open all kinds of doors to their learning adventure.

Monday hubby (Chris) worked overtime (which means he was gone from 3:30 a.m. until 7:30 p.m.). I used the morning to clean. CJ had guitar lesson at 1:30. Usually he goes right to the high school for football practice but they had given the JV the day off. It was great. We were able to have a relaxed afternoon of learning as Emily napped. Zachary decided that he wanted to surprise Chris when he got home with confetti and signs saying "I love you Dad". We shut off all the lights and when Chris came in they threw the confetti on him. What a way to come home.

Tuesday was uneventful except for the fact that Alex just couldn't seem to keep himself out of trouble. Because of this he didn't get through all his schooling. One of the newest rules in our house this year--If you can't behave for Mom and get through all your schoolwork than you are not allowed to go outside and play. Wasting Mom's time = No playtime outside. Early Intervention came over for Emily. She told me that she fears that Emily won't qualify for services in December when they reassess her because she is at or above age level for everything except talking. The words are really starting to come, in fact she says a few new words everyday to us. She will NOT speak in front of EI which if she does that at the assessment she may still qualify. Honestly, I feel she is ready to move on.

Wednesday and Thursday's are Chris' days off. I ended up going over a friend's house Tuesday night and staying until 2 a.m.!!! I couldn't believe it. By the time I got home and went to bed it was after 3. I expected to be paying the price for my late night all day. To my surprise, Chris got up in the morning, ushered the kids downstairs and closed my bedroom door. While I was sleeping (until 9) he started school with the kids. See, yet another reason I love that man. I did take over school when I got up.

Thursday is Co-op day! Emily stays home with Chris while I bring everyone else. Because Alex had such a rotten week of homeschooling he was not allowed to go. He stayed home and Chris did school with him. Zachary takes Writing, Pre-Chemistry, and Spanish at co-op. Jessica and Alex take Literature Pockets, Pre-Chemistry and History Heroes. CJ is in high school. He takes Honors English 2, Public Speaking and Chemistry. I am the chemistry teacher. We are using Apologia chemistry. What a challenging course. This week I was extremely frustrated in class. It is hard to teach when students don't come prepared or act like they don't want to be there. I drop CJ off right at the high school for football practice on our way home. It is a long day to be out (8 a.m. until 2:30) and away from Emily. But I know she is enjoying having her Daddy all to herself.

Friday was uneventful (which is fine with me). Highlights from the day: we had pizza for dinner, watched Dora after dinner on the computer and CJ had a Varsity game. He didn't play. He has be there and ready to go in if needed. His team did win : )

That about sums up the week. I am grateful to get through a full week of homeschooling. Looking back I see some areas that need improvement. I am going to work this weekend at putting together a loose schedule to follow. It will include practice times for piano, time for each of them to play with Emily and time set aside just for them with me. Math is CJ's weakest subject and I need to set aside time for him to make sure he gets the concepts.

Have a great weekend!!!

2 comments:

jeannie said...

You sound like me..
"I got an WHOLE week done"....(lol)

Sounds like an sucessful week..

Anonymous said...

You've gotta love a man who will let you sleep in! ;-) Hey, I don't know what your daughter's speech delays are, but if it's pronunciation and such, you might want to check out the book, "Straight Talk" by Marisa Lapish. You can find out more about it on the "Nathan" website. Just type in Nathan Homeschooling and it should take you to the right place.

Thank you for your kind comments on my blog. They made my day! I'm glad you found us and decided to particpate on the Wrap-Up this week.

Have a great week!