Friday, October 31, 2008

Study

A friend of mine is going to be starting up a 10 week Beth Moore bible study starting in November. Between Nov. and Dec. she has 4 Wednesday's set aside. The other 6 weeks are on Tuesday's spread out through January and February. I was excited when I first got her email. How I have longed to get into a study. She sent the email out Tuesday while Chris was dealing with his Nephew Joey and his hospitalization (Joey's that is). I didn't get to speak to Chris about the upcoming study until Wednesday. Now I must tell you, my husband is one of the most wonderful and thoughtful men I know. Just 2 weeks ago after he worked 2 doubles in a weekend, he called a friend of mine to see if I could go over because he knew I could use a break. He is always encouraging me to find a hobby, go take a ride for quiet time and stuff like that. So just imagine how surprised I was when he told me that at this time in my life he does not think it is a good idea to commit to a 10 weeks bible study, especially since for the first 4 weeks it is on a Wednesday and it is during a busy time of year for us (between Nov. 15 and the end of the year we not only have 3 major holidays we have 3 children's birthdays too). Thursday is co-op day and he feels that I would be setting myself up for burn-out going out the night before. Well you know how I said he was the most wonderful and thoughtful man just a few sentences ago.....well I still stand by that. One of the things that is so wonderful about him is he brings great balance to me. He thinks things through in a way I might not have. He knows my strengths and weaknesses and he was thinking of me 100% when he said he does not think it is a good idea at this time. And you know what....he is right. I have come along way. Not too long ago I would have fought this but now, I can take a step back and know that God has put Chris as the head of our home and He (God not Chris) always gives us what we need.

I still have the desire to do a study. God already took care of that. Monday night, before I even knew my friend was doing a bible study, I ordered Homeschooling with a Meek and Quiet Spirit along with the study guide that goes with it. I originally bought the book a few years ago and loved it. Terri Maxwell, the author, talks about her own battle with depression and how she dealt with it. Oh how I could relate. I would make it a point to read the book every year before being the school year. This past year I was unable to. I had let someone borrow my copy last year and they lost it. I didn't realize how much I missed reading the book until recently. Yesterday it came in the mail and I was flipping through the study guide. I know this is just what I need at this point in my life. This school year has been off to such a bumpy start and I am trying to hold off winter depression (Seasonal Affective Disorder). Reading this book, reading scripture, and meditating on the word of God....that is what God knew I needed.

What a blessing it is to have a husband like Chris. He knows when to encourage me...and when to put the breaks on : )

No comments: