Friday, April 4, 2008

Doing the Right Thing

Sometimes it is not easy to do the right thing. It can be cloudy what the right thing is. Other's may say "fair is fair". Other times it is a matter of perspective.

Tonight I was faced with a choice. Over at Life in a Shoe they were selling 3 Vision Forum dolls. Opening bid was $40 each. As soon as I saw one of the dolls, Abigail, it made me think of my precious Emily-- the dark skin, dark hair and full checks. I held off bidding (that's the Ebayer in me) because I figured I would wait until the day the bidding was to end so I could get the upper hand. But something unexpected happened to me. Instead of going in for the kill and out bidding someone I decided to let someone I have never even meet win because I felt it was the right thing to do. The person put in her comment when she bid how she was getting this doll for a girl she was adopting. Adoption day was coming up for them in May and now she just needs to get another one because the children are twins.

That did it for me. I couldn't do it. Even though I could have gone higher than her in her bid I couldn't take it away from another adoptive mother....ESPECIALLY for adoption day. As much as I would have loved to have that doll for my own little girl, the thought of another little girl getting that doll on the day she is to become part of her "forever family" warmed my heart.

The bidding just ended 20 minutes ago. 40 minutes ago I had been fast asleep until Emily woke up wanting to be topped off (fed). I fed her and snuck downstairs to check to see if anyone else had bid. Instead I found a nice message under the bids from the original lady who bid for Abigail. She said that she didn't want me to feel bad and go ahead and bid if I can go higher. I was tempted. She told me to-- I thought to myself. As I held little Miss Emily I realized I have plenty of time to get her this doll. Emily is only 1. I don't have a date yet for finalization. I figured I have time. Getting the doll tonight would have been more for me then her. With that, I gave my precious girl a kiss and put her back to bed. I came back down to the computer and saw that no other bids were made. I am so very happy for that other family right now. Aren't you : )

No comments: