Tuesday, March 2, 2010

One Step at a Time

Right before Christmas my love bought me a treadmill. I had been wanting one for quite some time but had a hard time forking over the big bucks for a good one. To my surprise one day, Chris came home with one he bought off someone at work. I love getting a good deal and this was surely one. I looked up the treadmill online for a price comparison----this specific treadmill new is around $600......Chris got it for $150!!! YAHOOOOOO!!!! What a deal!!!

Have you ever heard that if you do something everyday for a month it becomes a habit? I was doing really great with getting my butt on the treadmill everyday. Then Nicholas got sick back in January and I haven't stepped foot on it since. Ugh! The habit works both ways you know! I have got in the habit of skipping it again. BAD HABIT! I was up to 50 minutes on the treadmill and the thought of getting on it for that long seems impossible.

It can be hard when you live a sedentary life and are over-weight to have the motivation to get up and go. So what is a girl to do? Here's an idea: get my sneakers on and GET ON THE TREADMILL!!!! It really is that simply. Hoping, wishing and talking about it isn't gonna make it happen. Getting on the treadmill and hitting the start button...that will.

You want to know one of my secrets for getting up to 50 minutes before? The first time I got on the treadmill I only did it for 10 minutes. Yup, that's it....10 minutes. It woke my body up to the idea of exercise. The next time I did it for 15 minutes. I actually did this for a few times. Believe it or not, when you haven't had exercise as a regular part of your life, 15 minutes wears you out (sorry, this isn't the Biggest Loser ranch where I am gonna kill myself exercising for 8 hours a day). From there I started challenging myself. I told myself---"If I can do 15 minutes, I wonder if I can do 25 minutes." Then it was "Wow, I can do 25 minutes, I bet I can do 30!" I kept challenging myself with a little more time. Next thing you know, I was doing a little more than 2 miles in 50 minutes : )

It looks like I am back at the beginning. But that's okay!!! The important thing is I am going to start. It is March after all : )

**Update---I did 30 minutes today!! I had only planned on doing 10-15 minutes but once I got on it and started moving it felt great!!!**

1 comment:

Amy :) said...

Good for you, Judy! I just started back up walking again... but since it's warmer here, I just go outside for a walk. It feels so much better to get moving, doesn't it?

Amy :)