Sunday, March 7, 2010

Just Be Mom

Day number 10 with someone being sick in the house. Today Jessica had a fever and Nicholas vomited 5 times. It wore that poor baby out.

I had my day all ready-set this morning. I sent the boys to church with my mother and I stayed home with Jessica, Emily and Nicholas (Chris works on Sundays). Jessica laid on the loveseat sick, Emily sat on the couch watching Mickey Mouse and Nicholas sat in his highchair watching me clean the kitchen. I had taken the time to write a list of things I wanted to get done for the day. It was a long list but I thought a pretty doable one.

Nicholas has been sick all week. Tuesday through Friday Pedialyte was the only thing he could drink or eat. Saturday he was able to have formula and not bring it back up. He seemed to be back to his old (5 month) self. Today I figured I would try oatmeal cereal with some bananas mixed in. I figured it was the next progressive step. BIG MISTAKE!!! About an hour and half later----let's just say yuck x 4. My day went from a list to sitting on the couch holding a sick little boy.

I am embarrassed to say that I was a little upset that my plans got interrupted. Sitting on the couch was not anywhere on my list. Chris encourage me to go upstairs and rock Nicholas and just chill out for the day. I would love to say I did....but I didn't. I told him I would fall asleep if I rocked him. Chris reaction "And the problem is what?". He could see it was a losing battle so he went and laid down himself (he gets up every day at 3 am). Then Nicholas decided to be a water fountain all over while I was changing him. So even though bath time is at 7 every night, I was now giving him a bath at 4.

While giving Nicholas a bath it hit me.....It was like God {gently} gave me a slap upside the head "This is what you ARE suppose to be doing. Everything else is secondary to your children. You are the mommy...BE A MOMMY." I felt the correction God was bringing me, asked God for forgiveness and changed my whole attitude in a matter of a second.

Can you guess what I went and did? I went upstairs with Nicholas, feed him some Pedialyte and rocked him to sleep. Just me and him. I listened to K-Love, prayed, thought about what I was doing this time last year, and thought about the last 5 1/2 months. About 45 minutes later I did fall asleep----and the world kept spinning----imagine that!!

I was reminded today how much I wanted to be a stay-at-home mom, how much I wanted to have a large family and how long I waited for Nicholas. This time is precious. I need to be reminded sometimes to step back and just be mom : )

No comments: