Monday, July 14, 2008

What's in a Name

Lately, the conversation when I talk with others always seems to come around to names of children. It usually starts off talking about the, uh, unusual names that celebrities go out of their way to name their children. Now I ask you, WHY? Why do they feel the need to go out of their way and pick really out there names. When was the last time you hear that a celebrity named their child Emily or Jacob (BTW, those are the most popular names from 2007). No, they usually pick names like Apple, Coco, Pilot, Camera, Suri, Free, Ever, Racer, Rocket, Rebel, Harlow, Audio Science, Tiger Lily, Rumer, Scout, Diva Muffin....I kid you not!!! Could you imagine going through life with your first name being Audio? I think Apple and Coco are cute...for a baby but these little bundles of joy are going to be 35 year old women some day sitting in a doctors office having the assistant call out "Apple we are ready for you". Not so cute then. And this is not just something that celebrities do either. My sister-in-law works at a daycare and most of the children have real funny-made up names. I wish I could remember some of them now. I will have to call her and ask for some examples. And would you believe these parents actually get mad when others mess up the child's name. One of the big thing around here is Nevaeh (heaven backwards).

Maybe I am just boring. I am someone that named her children: Christopher, Zachary, Jessica, Alexander and Emily. Nothing unusual about those names...unless of course I was a celebrity. Then they would be unusual because they are everyday, run of the mill names. That is okay with me.

No comments: