Sunday, February 1, 2009

A Little Disppointed

Today in the news Michael Phelps admitted that a picture taken of him with a marijuana pipe is indeed true. In his statement he says....

“I engaged in behavior which was regrettable and demonstrated bad judgment,” Phelps said in the statement released by one of his agents. “I’m 23 years old and despite the successes I’ve had in the pool, I acted in a youthful and inappropriate way, not in a manner people have come to expect from me. For this, I am sorry. I promise my fans and the public it will not happen again.”

I find this disappointing. Millions of kids, teenagers and young people all were looking up to, cheering him on. He had the world at his feet this summer. He had the kind of success that others may have dreamed but he obtained. He has tons of gold medals and endorsement deals but yet something in his life must have been lacking for him to do drugs.

I wonder what kind of message is giving to all those kids now. As a christian I can use this to talk to my son about how this man had great worldly success....but does he know the Lord (which I don't know if he does or doesn't). That is where our true success comes from.

No comments: